This year has been up and down for me. If you'll recall, I made a 2007 resolution to lose 50 pounds. So, the big question is, did I do it? Nope, I didn't do it. The good news is that I have made quite a few changes in my lifestyle and I did manage to lose 10 pounds. It's not a lot and it's not my goal, but it's something and that is better than nothing at all. In a normal year i would've gained about 5 pounds.
What did I do wrong?
- I started the year with a very high calorie reduction diet. It was too ambitious and was very hard to do. I managed to shed weight quickly, but I couldn't sustain the diet.
- I injured myself. Once I had enough of the low calories, I decided to up my intake a bit and start a running program. I injured my foot by running on worn out shoes.
- I stopped trying at times. Once I jacked my foot, I got really bummed out and stopped even trying.
- When I exercise I'm not watching my diet and when I'm watching my diet I'm not exercising.
- The holidays kicked my ass. Ashley made candy to give out as gifts. I helped eat the candy that was remaining.
What did I do right?
- I keep trying. There is something to be said for will and determination. I've managed to make this a focal point in my life despite some temporary lapses in judgment.
- I've made lifestyle changes to my diet. It's now where it should be yet, but I've managed to virtually eliminate certain things from my diet. I no longer drink sugared drinks. I rarely eat deep fried foods. I'm eating smaller portions.
I'm making progress, just not at the rates I wanted to. At this point I understand what I need to do and what it's going to take. I'm going to make this a priority again in the coming year because this is such a problem for me. See you in 2008!