Since I moved my blogs onto a server which I control, I've been spending quite a bit more time looking at log files. While digging through a log file for the web server, I happened across some funny referrer names for my watermark plugin for jQuery. Hmmm. I pulled up the site, clicked view source, and sure enough there was a reference to digitalbush.com.
Now that I know there is a problem, I aim to fix it. I could be nice and put a friendly
alert("Please don't hotlink to digitalbush.com"); at the top of the file. I could just yank the files off the server and leave your page broken slightly. Those seem too nice. It's almost a new year and I'm feeling empowered. I want to be a little mischievous. I love a good prank; especially when said prank can teach a little lesson. Besides, none of the sites I've seen so far seem very large or important.
The problem with all of this is that I'm a little torn. I'm not sure what to do. I mean, imagine the possibilities! In no certain order, here's what I've thought about doing:
- Inject a banner at the top announcing how awesome digitalbush.com is.
- Set a style
display:noneto the body of the page.
- Cornify the offenders site.
- For the watermark plugin specifically, I could hard code the watermark to say digitalbush.com.
- Redirect to the google translated version of the site in Russian.
- Alter the alignment of divs by a few pixels to mess up the layout.
- Randomly animate things by timer or by event.
- Change all of the links to point to digitalbush.com.
- Change all image sources to point to a script which returns an upside down version.
- A random selection of the above.
There are just too many options! Dear Reader, what should I do? Should I be conservative and just do an alert? Should I do something else? I'm not going to do anything profane, pornographic, or malicious. I just want to have a little fun. Please give me your input and ideas. I'd love to hear from you.